What is the Artist in the School Program?
Artist in the School provides high quality, engaging and culturally diverse programming to students across the territory. There are more than 90 artists and 200 different programs available through our catalogue including workshops in music, dance, visual arts, literary arts, theatre and digital media.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Professional artists* with proven teaching experience in all artistic disciplines are invited to apply. A follow-up interview will be arranged with the Artist in the School Coordinator to review the application and answer any other questions you have about the program.
* A professional artist is defined as someone who has: a) specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions) b) is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition) c) has proven teaching experience.
How does the program work?
How do Artist Hours and payment work?
- Artists are paid $50 an hour for both instructional and prep time.
- Both instructional and prep time is taken out of the AIS hours allotted per school.
- Artists are paid directly through the AIS office. An Artist Payment form signed by both the school and the artist needs to be submitted to the AIS office in order for payment to be issued. Please allow 2-3 weeks for payment to be processed.
Does AIS cover travel expenses?
- If an artist is booked into a Yukon community school for a minimum of a full day of programming (5 instructional hours) they are eligible for Travel Expenses.
- Artists are responsible for contacting the AIS office before their workshop to ensure their travel expenses are approved. Artists (not schools) are responsible for submitting any applicable travel receipts.